Recipe by Sharon123
A terrific way to use leftover rice! Once you have everything out, the prep goes fast! Adapted from Delicious Living magazine.
Top Review by AZPARZYCH
This was really good!! I used apple cider, button mushrooms, white long grain rice (since that is what I had on hand), and canned crush pineapple. I also left out the cilantro since I cannot stand the stuff and forgot to buy the cashews. :oops: Otherwise I followed the recipe. It was quick to put together once everything was measured out. Will be making again! Going to be a great lite summer meal when it is super hot! Made for Best of Cookbook Tag 2010.
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry (or white wine, vegetable broth or apple cider)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 10 fresh shiitake mushrooms (or button)
- 4 cups cooked brown rice (preferably long grain)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 2 cups frozen shelled edamame beans (or tiny peas)
- 1⁄2 cup diced pineapple (or canned well drained crushed pineapple)
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup dry roasted salted cashews, coarsely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine sherry, soy sauce, salt and sugar in a small bowl and stir to dissolve. Remove and discard mushroom stems(save for making stock). Slice caps into long, thin strips and set aside. Using your hands, gently crumble cooked brown rice into individual grains in a bowl.
- Heat a large, deep skillet over high heat(or you may use a wok). Add 1 tbls. veg. oil and swirl to coat. Add eggs and tilt to spread into a thin pancake.As soon as eggs are set, turn to cook other side briefly, just a few seconds. Turn onto a plate.
- Move egg pancake to a cutting board and roll into a cylinder. Slice thinly crosswise to make long, slender ribbons. Set aside.
- Heat pan again over high heat until very hot. Add remaining 2 tbls. veg. oil and swirl to coat. Add onion, ginger, and garlic, and toss until fragrant but not browned, about 1 minute.
- Add mushrooms and toss. Add edamame beans and cook until mushrooms are wilted and shiny, about 3 minutes. Add in the rice and toss well. Pour soy sauce mixture around pan sides and toss to mix and season everything nicely.
- Add pineapple and toss to mix everything well. Cook, stirring occasionally, until rice is heated through and tender, about 2 minutes. Add egg ribbons, green onions, sesame oil, cilantro and salt to taste. Toss gently to combine. Top with cashews. Serve hot or warm. Enjoy!