Recipe by Nado2003
Growing up fried rice is clean out your refrigerator time at my house. You put into whatever meat, seafood, vegetables (no squashes, lettuces or chocolates) and leftovers are in the frig. Hence, I never liked fried rice. However, I do not have much left over in the house anymore. I love sushi rice (or the medium grain, starchy rice used to make sushi) and it makes a rich and chewy fried rice. My kids love Chinese Sausage - you can purchase these in most Asian markets.
- 2 cups cooked sushi rice (Calrose Rice, do not add seasoned vinegar)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 green onion, separate green and white parts, chop both finely
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrot
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (to taste)
- 2 eggs, whisk
- 2 ounces dried shiitake mushrooms (soaked in water and slice thinly) (optional)
- 3 Chinese sausage (sliced thinly, can substitute cooked meat of anykind or shrimp)
- 1 egg, hard boiled and sliced thinly (optional, garnish) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat heavy non-stick skillet on medium high heat.
- Add olive oil and swirl around skillet to make sure the whole surface is coated with oil.
- Add chopped white part of the onion and brown lightly.
- Add black pepper.
- Add chopped onion and cook until transparent.
- Add frozen peas and carrots and cooked until heated (bright green and orange).
- Add soy sauce and mix.
- Add eggs and cook.
- Add rice and mix thoroughly.
- Add Chinese Sausage. Cook until hot.
- Serve. Garnished with slices of hard boiled eggs and green part of onion.