Recipe by MommyMakes
A comforting dish that my husband and kids always love. This freezes and reheats great. Prepare the rice and chicken before hand. For the chicken, I usually marinate the breasts in teriyaki sauce for some extra flavor. The rice should be stored in a large ziplock bag in the fridge until cold before starting the fried rice. When making rice for a meal earlier in the week be sure to make extra. Or keep a ziplock in the freezer and anytime you get take-out throw the box of white rice into the freezer bag until you have enough.
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cooked & chopped
- 6 eggs
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄2 onion, diced
- 6 cups cooked long-grain rice, chilled
- 1 -2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- salt & pepper
- assorted frozen vegetables (peas, chopped broccoli florets, carrot matchsticks, snow pea pods, etc..)
- 2 -4 tablespoons butter, diced (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Scramble the eggs, chop, and set aside with the cooked chicken.
- Heat the oil in a very large, deep, heavy bottomed skillet over the highest heat, I use a non-stick pan.
- Take cold rice from the refrigerator and set aside.
- Scrape diced onion into pan then follow with cold rice.
- Immediately start to stir and move the rice around so it will warm up. The big chunks will break up as the rice heats up.
- Continue stirring the rice and onions, breaking up chunks, over the highest heat.
- As rice starts to heat, add the soy sauce (I just turn the bottle around the pan a couple of times, no measuring).
- Push aside the rice so you can see the bottom of the pan, add the sesame seeds.
- Stir and watch them closely, when they start to brown stir them into the rest of the rice.
- Add garlic, salt and pepper, chicken, scrambled eggs, and vegetables.
- Continue browning the rice until fried to your liking and vegetables are heated.
- For us, the fried rice doesn't taste right without the chinese restaurant greasy-ness. The final step is to take the rice off the heat and stir the chopped butter into it until its melted and thoroughly mixed. This isn't necessary and can be omitted or reduced as desired.