Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
I found this recipe online. It's mostly like all the others, but this one tells you to cool the rice after you cook it before you actually make the fried rice. This is the way I prefer to make it. I don't know why, but for some reason every time I don't let the rice get cold it just doesn't taste as good. It's supposed to be one of those restaurant's secret recipes and it sure is good. PS - I modify it every time I make it by adding new things, etc. Add as much or as little soy sauce as you like, I tend to add a little more. This fried rice can be prepared ahead of time by cooking the rice,. then adding the peas, carrots and egg plus half of the soy sauce. Keep this refrigerated until you are ready to fry it in the butter. That's when you add the salt, pepper and remaining soy sauce.
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 2 chopped carrots
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion (1/2 small onion)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- Cook rice following instructions on package (Bring 2 cups water to a boil, add rice and a dash of salt, reduce heat and simmer in covered saucepan for 20 minutes). Pour rice into a large bowl to let it cool in the refrigerator.
- Scramble the eggs in a small pan over medium heat. Separate the scrambled chunks of egg into small pea-size bits while cooking.
- When rice has cooled to near room temperature, add peas,carrot, scrambled egg and diced onion to the bowl.Carefully toss all of the ingredients together.
- Melt 1 1/2 tablespoons of butter in a large frying pan over medium/high heat.
- When butter has completely melted, dump the bowl of rice and other ingredients into the pan and add soy sauce plus a dash of salt and pepper. Cook rice for 6-8 minutes over heat, stirring often.