Recipe by mollypaul
Prairie chicken, sage hens, young pheasants or even frying chickens can all be cooked this way. From the Mississippi Valley chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 3 lbs pheasants or 3 lbs prairie chicken, cleaned and dressed
- salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons fat, for frying
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut bird into serving portions, plunge into cold water; drain thoroughly but do not wipe dry.
- Season well with salt and pepper; dredge thickly with flour.
- Heat fat in skillet; cook bird slowly until brown and tender, about 45 minutes.
- Remove to a hot serving platter and serve with cream gravy.