Recipe by Queen Dragon Mom
I make this for myself on quiet mornings as a treat. It's very simple and very good. Use whatever kind of cheese and herbs you like best.
- 1 tablespoon butter, clarified unsalted scant
- 1 medium boiling potato, unpeeled sliced thin
- 1⁄8 cup cheese, mozzarella shredded
- tarragon, as desired
- chervil, as desired
- pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak the sliced potato in cold water for anywhere up to an hour. Drain and dry well.
- Melt butter in medium saute pan over medium heat. Place potato slices in pan in a single layer as soon as contact with the butter creates a sizzle.
- Cover pan and let potatoes sizzle for about 20 minutes. Check potatoes at this time to make sure they are browning. If they are looking golden and crispy, turn the slices over, cover and sizzle for another 20 to 30 minutes.
- At this point, you should be hearing a sound that is somewhere between a sizzle and a balloon with a leak. This is the water cooking out of the potatoes. It is a good thing. Remove the cover. Turn heat down a bit if it looks like the taters are likely to burn.
- It will take about 15 minutes for the potatoes to get rid of their water content.
- Remove from heat and sprinkle cheese over crispy slices. Turn taters and cheese so they mix up together.
- Turn all out onto a plate, sprinkle with herbs and pepper.