Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Let me tell you my boyfriend absolutely loves when I make this. His eyes even light up. But it is not something to make all the time for health reasons ;-) But that is what is so good about it.
- 4 -5 medium potatoes
- 6 slices thick bacon (greasier the better)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion (optional)
- Peel all potatoes and cut up in to 4ths.Put potatoes in a pot with water and salt.Cover. Put on high until it boils then lower a little. Total boiling time should be 30 minutes.
- Cut up bacon and onion into smaller pieces.Add to a 10-12" pan 1 tablespoon butter.Let fry for 5-7mins so bacon grease can accumulate.
- Drain potatoes when they are done and add to frying pan.With a spoon make potatoes pieces even smaller and stir mixture together. Add another tablespoon butter and stir.
- Turn flame up med-high and cover so potatoes can brown. Every 5 minutes or so stir potatoes and add salt and pepper to taste. Also add more butter if necessary.
- Continue to fry for about 15 minutes or until most potatoes have one side browned.
Excellent. Very basic side dish which works well with just about anything, but steak seems to work best. Add corn on the cob and it's quite the meal.
Not just good... GREAT. These are now referred to by my family as "The Favorite Potatoes..." I made them a lot more fattening by adding shredded cheese once I was done browning. Super easy to make too! The longer you brown them the crispier and in our opinion the better they tast... Sillygurl you are a hero in our house! Thanks!