Recipe by cuisinebymae
I know this is not a healthy recipe. Lard is, indeed, a four letter word these days. However, we enjoy this occasionally. It is very good! Prep time includes soaking time for the potato slices. This recipe is originally from McCalls.
Top Review by TGirl,RN
This is an old family favorite recipe!!! I've been eating this since forever, and it is fantastic!!!The only difference is that we always add thinly sliced onions to the pan...they caramelize and add a delicious sweetness to the potatoes. I've been eating these potatoes for over 30 years, so that alone makes this a 5 star recipe! But the taste, especially with the onions, makes this a 10 star keeper--I hope others enjoy this recipe as well!! Teresa
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel potatoes and cut into 1/8 inch slices.
- Soak in cold water until crisp.
- Drain off the water and dry potato slices on paper towels.
- Heat lard until very hot.
- (I use a large skillet.) Add potato slices.
- Reduce heat and fry slowly until crusty and brown.
- Turn occasionally.
- Remove from pan to a paper towel-lined serving dish.
- Sprinkle with salt and serve.