Recipe by mightyro_cooking4u
From Diners, Drive-ins and Dives cookbook. Courtesy of Richard Sanell of Cafe on the Route, Baxter Springs, Ka.
Top Review by All boyz 3
Although it was very good, this recipe calls for too much mustard! I eat at Cafe on the route at least once a month and the fried potato salad they serve does not have that much of a mustard taste. I would only use about 1-2 tbsp if you want it to taste like the restraunt's version. Also, theirs has crisp bacon pieces tossed in. Gooooood stuff!
- 2 large baking potatoes
- 3⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄3 cup mustard, yellow
- kosher salt
- black pepper, freshly ground
- canola oil, for frying
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 300°F Bake the potatoes until tender,about 1 hour. Cool and cut them into 3/4-inch squares. Mix the mayonnaise, mustard, and salt and pepper to taste in a medium bowl.
- Heat about 1 inch of oil in a deep skillet or small pot until a deep-fry thermometer reads 325 degrees F. Fry the potatoes until golden brown and crisp, about 3 to 5 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
- Combine the potatoes with the mayonnaise mixture, taste, and season. Serve warm.
- Serve immediately; the salad does not hold well for long periods.