Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
A real kid pleaser. Best made with fresh potatoes, as opposed to instant, with a stiff potato consistency. I just boil a few potatoes and smash them with a fork.
- 2 cups cooked smashed potatoes (plain, boiled and fork-smashed potatoes work best)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (can substitute cheddar)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder or 2 tablespoons thin sliced green onions
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- Combine first 7 ingredients; chill.
- Shape mixture into 6 patties.
- Dip each patty into lightly beaten egg then lightly coat with breadcrumbs.
- Heat vegetable oil and fry over medium heat until lightly browned, turning once.
- Tip: If you feel your potatoes are too watery, lightly dust with flour prior to dipping into the egg wash.
These turned out great for me. I followed the recipe step by step. I sprayed my pan with Pam instead of using the vegetable oil. Cooked on low heat and they turned out so good. Thanks for the great recipe. I will be making this again.
I used some leftovers from Pam's Mashed Potato Casserole#66442 to make this with. I subbed cheddar for the mozzarella,but otherwise folllowed the instructions pretty much to the letter. My mix was a teeny bit wet,but my mash did have cream cheese and milk in it before hand,so it was to be expected.They did hold together very well though..I just was very careful while frying them to ensure that they didn't break up. They went down a storm,beautifully crisp and crunchy on the outside and so soft and cheesy in the centre. We loved them,and as they were no trouble to prepare will certainly be cooking extra mash potato in the future,as an excuse to make them! Thanks gailanng..this was a winner! Made for PRMR.
I'm always looking for ways to use breadfruit "ulu" and this worked very well. I just replaced the potato with it, steamed the breadfruit and followed the directions. Very satisfying.