1/3 Photos of Fried Potato Cake
1 hr 15 mins
This is a recipe from a cookbook called "Classic International Recipes". It is supposed to be one of the national dishes of Switzerland and is often served daily. It is often served with "Veal with Cream Sauce". The only thing I changed was to add some garlic (as usual). Please note: This is supposed to make one big cake, that is then quartered to serve 4. Chilling time is not included in the cooking time....I cook the potatoes in the morning, and prepare the cake in the evening.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Wash the potatoes.
- 2In a large covered saucepan, cook the whole potatoes in enough boiling salted water to cover for 20 to 25 minutes or until almost tender; drain.
- 3Chill several hours or overnight.
- 4Peel the potatoes; shred enough to make 3 cups.
- 5Combine the shredded potatoes, onion, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- 6In a 10-inch skillet, melt the butter.
- 7Using a spatula, pat the potato mixture into the skillet, leaving a 1/2 inch space around the edge.
- 8Cook potato mixture, uncovered, over low heat about 20 minutes or until the underside is crisp and golden brown.
- 9Use a spatula to loosen the potatoes from the skillet.
- 10Place a plate or baking sheet on top the skillet.
- 11Invert the skillet to remove the potatoes.
- 12If necessary, add more butter to the skillet.
- 13Slide the potato cake back into the skillet, browned side up; cook the unbrowned side for 5 minutes.
- 14Sprinkle the shredded cheese on top of the potato cake; cover, and cook 5 minutes more or until the potatoes are golden brown and the cheese is melted.
- 15Cut the potato cake into four wedges and serve.
- 16Garnish with sliced green onions, cut parsley, or sour cream if you wish.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fried Potato Cake
Serving Size: 1 (193 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 227.0
- Calories from Fat 84
- Total Fat 9.3 g
- Saturated Fat 5.8 g
- Cholesterol 24.3 mg
- Sodium 488.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 6.2 g