Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
Makes a great side dish for any meal. To make it easier, use unseasoned prepared hash browns from the refrigerator section of your grocery. Cook time is approximate per batch.
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and shredded
- 1 small onion, minced fine
- 1 beaten egg
- 14.79 ml flour
- 4.92 ml salt
- 1.23 ml black pepper
- 0.59 ml cayenne pepper
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- Place potatoes between paper towels to squeeze out excess moisture.
- Combine all ingredients except oil and mix well.
- Heat 1/8" of oil in a large skillet and drop mixture 1/4 cup at a time into hot oil.
- Press mixture into 3" rounds with the back of a spoon.
- Fry until golden brown, turning once.
- Drain on paper towels.
I'm pregnant with my first and having been craving potatoes in all forms this week. Hubby made these for dinner tonight and they really hit the spot. Perfectly crispy on the outside and soft and moist on the inside. The cayenne pepper added just the right amount of kick and flavor. We didn't change a thing and will definitely make them again! Thanks! :)
These were really good. I served them with smoothies for breakfast. I love the spiciness of them, and they went great with ketchup.
We enjoy these and I have made several times now, especially when I am serving something else that might not be so popular (always have at least 1 menu item that you know is a winner!). I usually use egg substitute to reduce cholesterol and this works well (also handy when cutting recipe in half).