Recipe by DPN
A favorite found exclusively in America's Heartland. This one from America's Hometown, Hannibal, Missouri.
Top Review by jrtfan
I live in the Midwest and we have a local diner that serves these, however they are very thin. These sandwiches are fabulous! I always loved the ones from the diner until I tried this recipe. Used cracker meal and Panko for the breading, added some garlic salt. Better than the drive in. Easy and tasty. Can't wain til I make them for dh!
- 1 pork tenderloin (cut into 3/4 inch slices)
- saltine crackers, made into meal (use a blender or processor)
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon bouillon (I use Maggi brand chicken & tomato but any brand or flavor will do. Three of the cube variety work w)
- oil (for frying)
- 4 hamburger buns
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the pork tenderloin into 3/4 inch slices.
- Pound the slices until each is about 1/4 inch thick.
- Place the cracker meal in a dish (aluminum pie pans work great).
- In a second dish, pour in the water and stir in the bouillon.
- Dip each slice in the bouillon water and then in the cracker meal.
- Coat well.
- Deep fry in a fry daddy or deep fryer at 375°F until golden brown. (Pan frying works equally well).
- Serve on a hamburger bun with your choice of condiments.