Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Fantastic! Need to be refrigerated 2-3 hours with the marinade.
Make and share this Fried Pork Chunks (Masitas De Puerco Fritas) recipe from Food.com.
- 2 lbs lean boneless pork, cut into 2-inch cubes salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste (shoulder or leg)
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1⁄2 cup sour orange juice or 1⁄4 cup sweet orange juice 1/8 cup each fresh lime and lemon juice
- vegetable oil or peanut oil, for frying
- salt, to taste
- crushed black pepper, to taste
- Sprinkle the meat liberally with salt and pepper. I.
- In a mortar, crush the garlic into a paste and rub the pork with the garlic paste.
- Place the pork in a nonreactive bowl and pour over the orange juice.
- Cover and refrigerate 2 to 3 hours.
- Drain the pork cubes.
- In a large saucepan, over medium heat, heat 2 inches of oil until very hot but not smoking, then add the pork cubes, without crowding them, raise the heat to high, and brown the cubes, turning with a slotted spoon. (The pork will release some moisture, lowering the oil temperature considerably.)
- When oil temperature rises again, lower the heat a little and cook the cubes, turning frequently, until they are a rich, golden brown, another 10 minutes.
- Occasionally turn up the heat when necessary to crisp the cubes.
- As the cubes are finished, transfer them to a paper-towel-lined platter to drain; keep warm in a 200ºF oven until all the cubes are fried. (Placing the chunks in oven will make them nice and crispy).
- Serve immediately, with Moros y Cristianos (Black Beans and Rice) and Mojo Criollo (Creole Garlic Sauce).