Rambling Rose's Note:
Tasty vegetarian dish easily made vegan (leave out parmesan cheese). Based on my favorite dish at Bela's of Northampton. Dried sweetened cranberries make the greens sweet. My husband prefers an alternate topping to this - covering it with spaghetti sauce. Also good, but in that case, could probably save the effort and skip most of the other ingredients besides the greens. Use two large frying pans.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 prepared polenta (log)
- 1 bunch red swiss chard (baby spinach best) or 1 bunch fresh spinach (baby spinach best)
- 1 -4 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 minced garlic cloves (fresh or jarred)
- 1 onion
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup dried sweetened cranberries
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- parmesan cheese
- fresh ground pepper
- 1Prepare greens by rinsing well in water. If using chard, separate stems and leaves and chop stems into ~ 1 inch pieces, leaves can be torn or chopped. If using baby spinach, just chop off bottom to separate leaves.
- 2Chop onion into thin slices or mince.
- 3Cut polenta into 1/4-1/2 inch slices.
- 4In one frying pan with ~1 T oil over medium heat, fry onion, chard stems if using chard, and garlic. After a few minutes, add 1/4 cup water and cover to partially soften stems by steaming.
- 5Remove cover and add chard leaves (or spinach), cranberries, and pine nuts. Cook until greens reach desired consistency (tender-crisp to soft). Add lemon juice.
- 6Meanwhile, in second frying pan, fry polenta slices in 1 teaspoons to 3 T olive oil (depending on how crispy or healthy you want it) until browned.
- 7Top polenta with greens and parmesan cheese and pepper to taste.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fried Polenta With Sweet Garlic-Greens
Serving Size: 1 (65 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 196.6
- Calories from Fat 115
- Total Fat 12.8 g
- Saturated Fat 1.3 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 4.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 12.6 g
- Protein 2.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
red swiss chard