1/1 Photo of Fried Plantains With Powdered Sugar...and Rum
Montana Heart Song's Note:
You will probably purchase green plantains, let them ripen to the yellow/brown/black stage. Rum is optional, but very delicious in the recipe and served with the recipe. (They look like huge fat long green bananas)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In large fry pan, add 1 tblsp oil. Heat oil to medium stage and lay each strip in the pan.(Fry 1 plantain in each batch). When the strips start to turn a golden brown, flip then over and add a little more oil.Fry the other side until golden and brown.
- 2There will not be much oil left in the pan.
- 3Sprinkle a little rum over the strips if desired.
- 4Sprinkle a little nutmeg on one side.
- 5A dash of salt on the strips.
- 6Take out the strips and place on a warm plate. Keep warm in a 250° oven.
- 7Fry the second batch. Follow the steps.
- 8Fry the third batch. Follow the steps.
- 9When the frying is completed, take out the plates. Cut the strips in half of the length. Roll up and secure with toothpick.
- 10Place back on plate.
- 11Let the strips cool, then take out the toothpicks. The plantains will hold the rolled shape.
- 12Sprinkle with powdered sugar right before serving. You can serve warm or cold, but if you serve warm the powdered sugar will soak in and you have have to pass separate powdered sugar, I pass a separate sifter after serving and each person can sift their own sugar on their serving.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fried Plantains With Powdered Sugar...and Rum
Serving Size: 1 (103 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 253.2
- Calories from Fat 95
- Total Fat 10.6 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 5.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 20.1 g
- Protein 1.7 g