Recipe by Toodles
As a little girl, I remember my mother making fried pies for us as a special treat. Although she didn't have a recipe for the filling, I did find her recipe for her pie crust. I think you will enjoy these as much as I did when I was growing up. If only mother was here today to share them with!
- 1 cup Crisco shortening
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons powdered sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
Directions See How It's Made
- Add flour, salt and powdered sugar into bowl.
- Cut in shortening until mixture is incorporated well.
- Add soda to buttermilk.
- Add to flour mixture, stirring just until moistened.
- Roll dough into a ball and chill for 30 minutes.
- Roll out onto floured surface and cut into 6" circles.
- Fill with your favorite pie filling.
- Fry until golden brown.