Recipe by evelyn/athens
I don't think the generic pork sausages found in most North American supermarkets would be suitable for this recipe. Rather, go for European-style or artisanal (Bruce Aidell?) sausage. It'll make the dish.
Top Review by sugarpea
Beautiful and delicious. I like my veggies with a bit of crunchy-bite so I cooked them a bit less than directed. Peppers, onions and sausage seem to be natural companions and the vinegar was a wonderful addition. Served it with risotto.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 6 large green bell peppers or 6 large red bell peppers, cut into thin strips
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 lbs hot sausage
- cooked polenta
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat.
- Add peppers, onion, garlic and vinegar and saute 10 minutes.
- Cover and cook until tender, about 5 minutes longer.
- Season to taste.
- Meanwhile, cook sausage in another large skillet over medium-high heat until brown and cooked through, turning occasionally, until skin is browned and lightly blistered, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer to platter; surround with pepper mixture.
- Serve with polenta.