Recipe by Swan Valley Tammi
Sounds weird, tastes great. This is actually a combination of two Company's Coming Barbeque recipes -- "Peas With Bacon" and "Peas and Mushrooms." Now why on earth shouldn't it be "Peas, Mushrooms, and Bacon?!" This is actually a tin-foil packet dish for the grill, but my husband came home from work not feeling well, so since he's the barbeque-er, I had to improvise and use my cast iron skillet instead. Works either way!
- 2 cups peas (fresh or frozen, but you definitely want small or baby peas)
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 4 slices bacon, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- If using frozen peas, let sit in a bowl of hot water to thaw.
- Meanwhile, fry bacon and onion pieces until bacon is cooked (but not crisp) and onion is translucent.
- Add mushrooms and peas, adding margarine if necessary.
- Season with salt and pepper, if desired, and serve.
- *BBQ instructions: Fry bacon and onion as above. Using 4 squares of double-thickness heavy foil, divide bacon and onions evenly on each. Add peas and onions, margarine, salt and pepper, and a teaspoons of water. Close packages and cook over medium-hot grill for 10-15 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Try adding chopped carrots, corn, and/or chopped green beans.