Recipe by teresas
Comfort food at it's best. This is chewy, creamy and spicy. What more do you need!
Top Review by Karen Elizabeth
What an interesting recipe! I did find I couldn't leave the pasta to fry away, it needed a lot of watching to make sure it didn't stick, maybe that was just me. The children experienced fried ravioli in Switzerland, and so also were interested by this concept. I did up the amount of sauce, I like a lot of sauce with my pasta, but otherwise, as recipe, this was really good and very much to my taste, rich and creamy with a chewy texture added by frying the pasta. Oh, I did fry a little bacon and sprinkle on top, just as a little added extra! Thanks Teresa, glad I tried this! Made for I Recommend tag game. June 2015 So I forgot I had reviewed this before, but enjoyed it just as much!!! Thank you Teresa, this time made for Consideration Tag Game, excellent goodness!!! Yum!!
- cooking spray
- 14.79 ml butter, divided
- 14.79 ml olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, sweet (thinly sliced and quartered)
- 4.92 ml garlic, minced
- 14.79 ml all-purpose flour
- 118.29 ml half-and-half
- 4.92-9.85 ml hot chili sauce, Sciracha
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 295.73 ml swiss cheese, shredded and divided
- 226.79 g cavatappi pasta, cooked
- parsley, chopped for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray 8X8 inch oven proof pan with cooking spray, set aside.
- Cook pasta per package directions until al dente, drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, on medium high heat melt 1/2 tbs butter and 1/2 tbs of olive oil in a medium sauce pan .
- Add in onion and saute until caramelized about 10 minutes.
- Add in garlic and saute for 30 seconds.
- Sprinkle in the flour and mix well.
- Slowly whisk in half and half mixing well.
- Add in 1-2 tsp of Sciracha hot chili sauce (or as much as you like) mix until thicken.
- Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Using a 10 inch cast iron or non stick skillet, melt remaining 1/2 tbs butter and 1/2 tbs olive oil on medium high heat.
- Once melted add in drained pasta and fry, stirring occasionally for about 10-15 mins until brown and pasta becomes crispy.
- Remove from stove and add in the onion mixture, stir well.
- Sprinkle in 1 cup of shredded cheese, mix well and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Pour mixture into your prepared pan.
- Cover and cook for 20 - 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle additional cheese on top.
- Cook uncovered for 5 more minutes or until cheese melts.
- Garnish with chopped parsley.