Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Comfort food at it's best. This is chewy, creamy and spicy. What more do you need!
- cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1⁄2 large onion, sweet (thinly sliced and quartered)
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1 -2 teaspoon hot chili sauce, Sciracha
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 1⁄4 cups swiss cheese, shredded and divided
- 8 ounces cavatappi pasta, cooked
- parsley, chopped for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray 8X8 inch oven proof pan with cooking spray, set aside.
- Cook pasta per package directions until al dente, drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, on medium high heat melt 1/2 tbs butter and 1/2 tbs of olive oil in a medium sauce pan .
- Add in onion and saute until caramelized about 10 minutes.
- Add in garlic and saute for 30 seconds.
- Sprinkle in the flour and mix well.
- Slowly whisk in half and half mixing well.
- Add in 1-2 tsp of Sciracha hot chili sauce (or as much as you like) mix until thicken.
- Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Using a 10 inch cast iron or non stick skillet, melt remaining 1/2 tbs butter and 1/2 tbs olive oil on medium high heat.
- Once melted add in drained pasta and fry, stirring occasionally for about 10-15 mins until brown and pasta becomes crispy.
- Remove from stove and add in the onion mixture, stir well.
- Sprinkle in 1 cup of shredded cheese, mix well and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Pour mixture into your prepared pan.
- Cover and cook for 20 - 25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle additional cheese on top.
- Cook uncovered for 5 more minutes or until cheese melts.
- Garnish with chopped parsley.
What an interesting recipe! I did find I couldn't leave the pasta to fry away, it needed a lot of watching to make sure it didn't stick, maybe that was just me. The children experienced fried ravioli in Switzerland, and so also were interested by this concept. I did up the amount of sauce, I like a lot of sauce with my pasta, but otherwise, as recipe, this was really good and very much to my taste, rich and creamy with a chewy texture added by frying the pasta. Oh, I did fry a little bacon and sprinkle on top, just as a little added extra! Thanks Teresa, glad I tried this! Made for I Recommend tag game. June 2015 So I forgot I had reviewed this before, but enjoyed it just as much!!! Thank you Teresa, this time made for Consideration Tag Game, excellent goodness!!! Yum!!
I never would have thought to fry pasta like this...but I'm very glad that someone did!!<br/>This was cheesy deliciousness, that I just couldn't get enough of.<br/>Made for Zaar Stars.
Gooey cheesy goodness! I didn't have the right pasta, so I made it with medium shells, otherwise followed the recipe ( I may have snuck in more cheese, shh, don't tell! ) I think this would be great with cooked chicken and broccoli added to be served as a main dish. Thanks for posting, made for Zaar Stars