Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
ried froyster olls
- 36 -48 medium oysters, shucked
- peanuts (for frying) or canola oil (for frying)
- 1 1⁄2 cups cracker meal
- 4 1⁄2 cups flour
- kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 top-opening hot dog buns
- 1⁄4 cup chopped red onion
- 1⁄4 cup roughly chopped capers
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cornichon, plus 2 tablespoons of the juice
- 3 cups hellmann mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- For tartar sauce: In a large bowl, mix the ingredients thoroughly.
- Makes about 4 1/2 cups- more than you will need.
- Oysters: In a deep saucepan or pot, heat the oil (3 inches deep) to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix the cracker meal and flour in a large dish.
- Drain the oysters in a strainer and drop them into the cracker meal mixture one by one, keeping them separated.
- Coat each oyster well, then shake off the excess.
- Drop each oyster gently into the hot oil and fry until they are golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- It's important not to overfry them.
- Drain them on paper towels and sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Meanwhile in a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter.
- Place rolls in the skillet on their sides.
- Cook until browned, turn and cook other side.
- Spread tartar sauce inside each roll, place oysters in roll and serve immediately.