Recipe by Linda's Kitchen
Tasty variation of Onion Rings. I saw Sunny Anderson making these on Food Network, and finally tried them, they are Awesome! So much easier to eat than rings!
Top Review by SweetSueAl
Reviewed for PAC Fall 09. I liked this recipe. The technique made it easier to cook the strips. I subsituted pre-packaged chicken breader (Autry's) for the flour. It was already seasoned...so I used it. I will absolutely make these again. Thanks for posting the recipe, Linda.
- canola oil, for frying
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 cup seasoned flour
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- sea salt
- 2 vidalia onions, sliced into 1/2 inch strips
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in deep pan (about 1-inch) to 360 degrees.
- Combine buttermilk, egg, and hot sauce in a medium bowl.
- Mix flour, cayenne,1 teaspoons salt and pepper in a bag.
- Peel the onions, after cutting off the top and bottom, halve the onion from top to bottom, placing cut side down, cut into 1/2 inch strips. Separate.
- Pat dry and dip in buttermilk mixture to coat.
- Transfer slices to bag and toss to coat.
- Deep-fry in batches until golden, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer to paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Sprinkle with sea salt.