Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Tasty variation of Onion Rings. I saw Sunny Anderson making these on Food Network, and finally tried them, they are Awesome! So much easier to eat than rings!
- canola oil, for frying
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 cup seasoned flour
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- sea salt
- 2 vidalia onions, sliced into 1/2 inch strips
- Heat oil in deep pan (about 1-inch) to 360 degrees.
- Combine buttermilk, egg, and hot sauce in a medium bowl.
- Mix flour, cayenne,1 teaspoons salt and pepper in a bag.
- Peel the onions, after cutting off the top and bottom, halve the onion from top to bottom, placing cut side down, cut into 1/2 inch strips. Separate.
- Pat dry and dip in buttermilk mixture to coat.
- Transfer slices to bag and toss to coat.
- Deep-fry in batches until golden, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer to paper towel-lined plate to drain.
- Sprinkle with sea salt.
Reviewed for PAC Fall 09. I liked this recipe. The technique made it easier to cook the strips. I subsituted pre-packaged chicken breader (Autry's) for the flour. It was already seasoned...so I used it. I will absolutely make these again. Thanks for posting the recipe, Linda.