Shawn C's Note:
This is such a great alternative to French fries. Goes well with steaks too. I actually like the dipping sauce with raw vegetables as well. This would probably go well with fried okra too.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 -5 large sweet onions
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup hot sauce
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
CREOLE MUSTARD SAUCE
- 1With a mandoline slicer for fast and even slices (be sure to use the guard and be very careful not to cut fingers) cut onions 1/8 inch for straws and thicker for onion rings if desired.
- 2Once sliced, for straws separate rings and pull slightly apart to break them.
- 3In a bowl place evaporated milk, sugar, 1/4 teaspoon salt and hot sauce; whisk to dissolve sugar.
- 4Place onions in mixture and let sit for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring to coat well.
- 5Mix flour, cornmeal, baking soda, Old Bay Seasoning, cayenne pepper, and.
- 61 teaspoon salt in a ziploc bag; close and shake to mix.
- 7Heat oil hot to about 375 or 350 degrees Fahrenehit.
- 8Drain a handful or two of onions; place in bag and shake to coat well.
- 9Shake off excess and fry until crispy and golden brown, about 4 minutes.
- 10Drain on paper towels.
- 11Repeat until all onions are done.
- 12Serve immediately with the creole mustard dipping sauce.
- 13CREOLE MUSTARD DIPPING SAUCE:.
- 14In a small bowl, combine creole seasoning, garlic powder, onion powder, spicy brown mustard, dry ranch dressing mix, lemon juice, hot sauce, sour cream, and salt.
- 15Cover and chill.
- 16Yield: 1 cup.
Browse Our Top Onions Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Onions Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fried Onion Straws With Creole Mustard Dipping Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (181 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 291.4
- Calories from Fat 91
- Total Fat 10.1 g
- Saturated Fat 5.6 g
- Cholesterol 29.7 mg
- Sodium 1386.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.9 g
- Sugars 11.7 g
- Protein 8.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Old Bay Seasoning
dry ranch dressing mix