Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 mins
This fried okra is very crispy. The Parmesan coating adds a nice flavor to the okra. Since there is no flour or cornmeal used in the recipe, it's perfect for a low carb diet .like Somersizing.
- 1 cup sliced fresh okra (slices are about 1/4-inch thick)
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- oil (for frying)
- Clean and slice okra, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Beat egg in a shallow bowl.
- Place grated Parmesan cheese in a shallow bowl.
- Pour okra into the beaten egg.
- Stir until every okra slice is wet from the egg.
- Remove with a slotted spoon, and place into the bowl with the Parmesan cheese.
- Stir until every okra slice is covered with cheese.
- Place oil in heavy pan to at least 2" in depth.
- (I use a deep fryer.) Heat until a single slice of coated okra dropped into the oil starts sizzling.
- Add the okra to the hot oil.
- Depending on the size of the pan, you may have to do this in two batches.
- Remove when the okra slices are golden brown and crispy.
- Drain on paper towels, and serve immediately.
Delicious! A different take on Southern Fried Okra. My only problem was getting the coating to adhere to the okra. But the final result was wonderful! Thanks for sharing! Made for Culinary Quest Summer 2014.
Mmmm, yummy! I love the crispness of the Parm and the flavor was great. Thanks! Made for ZWT#9-2013 by Hot Stuff member.
These were very good! Using the parm instead of breading is a great idea if you're watching your carbs. Crunchy and golden brown on the outside, soft in the middle, and no slime like you sometimes get with okra. Thanks for a fun way to try this vegetable!