Recipe by PanNan
This fried okra is very crispy. The Parmesan coating adds a nice flavor to the okra. Since there is no flour or cornmeal used in the recipe, it's perfect for a low carb diet .like Somersizing.
Top Review by breezermom
Delicious! A different take on Southern Fried Okra. My only problem was getting the coating to adhere to the okra. But the final result was wonderful! Thanks for sharing! Made for Culinary Quest Summer 2014.
- 1 cup sliced fresh okra (slices are about 1/4-inch thick)
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- oil (for frying)
Directions See How It's Made
- Clean and slice okra, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Beat egg in a shallow bowl.
- Place grated Parmesan cheese in a shallow bowl.
- Pour okra into the beaten egg.
- Stir until every okra slice is wet from the egg.
- Remove with a slotted spoon, and place into the bowl with the Parmesan cheese.
- Stir until every okra slice is covered with cheese.
- Place oil in heavy pan to at least 2" in depth.
- (I use a deep fryer.) Heat until a single slice of coated okra dropped into the oil starts sizzling.
- Add the okra to the hot oil.
- Depending on the size of the pan, you may have to do this in two batches.
- Remove when the okra slices are golden brown and crispy.
- Drain on paper towels, and serve immediately.