Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Had this at a birthday party recently and, it was so delicious, I had to have the recipe. As the chef gave it to me, I quickly jotted it down on a pink paper napkin and have been guarding that napkin ever since. Thought I'd better post it online so it won't get misplaced. It is a bit different than the other Okra Salads posted here. As I haven't made it yet, prep and cook times are guesstimates and don't include cooling.
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen breaded okra
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, sliced thinly
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup bell pepper, small chopped
- 1⁄2 cup tomatoes, small chopped
- 8 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup white vinegar
- Fry okra according to package direction. Cool to room temperature.
- When okra is room temperature, gently stir in green onion, bell pepper, tomatoes and bacon.
- In separate bowl, mix together sugar, vegetable oil and vinegar until well blended.
- Pour dressing over okra mixture and gently toss to coat.
- Chill to allow flavors to blend.
- I don't salt my recipes, but feel free to add salt, if needed to taste.
Excellent recipe! My husband loves fried okra...so this was a spin-off of that. I personally liked the sweet taste with the bacon flavor! I found it best to eat as soon as it chills....my okra coating started to get a little soggy after a day. Will definitely make again during summer okra season!