Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
This recipe can be prepared in 45 minutes or less.
- 24 Ritz crackers
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 2 ounces chilled monterey jack pepper cheese
- 12 medium okra
- 2 cups corn oil or 2 cups vegetable oil (for frying)
- prepared salsa
- In a food processor finely grind crackers. In a shallow bowl whisk together cracker crumbs, flour, and salt to taste. In another shallow bowl beat egg. Cut pepper Jack into twelve 1 1/2- by 1/2- by 1/4-inch pieces.
- With a sharp knife cut a 2-inch slit lengthwise on side of each okra. With fingers gently pull slit slightly open and insert a slice of cheese. Transfer okra to a plate and chill 5 minutes.
- Working in batches of 4, dip stuffed okra in egg to coat, letting excess drip off, and roll in cracker crumb mixture, shaking off excess. Arrange okra in one layer on plate as coated and chill 5 minutes.
- In a deep 10-inch heavy skillet heat oil over moderate heat until hot but not smoking and fry okra, 4 at a time, turning them, until golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes. With a slotted spoon transfer okra as fried to paper towels to drain. Season okra with salt and serve immediately with salsa.