Recipe by Slatts
My grandma used to make us fried okra a lot when I was a child and I loved it. This version comes from the "Soul and Spice" cookbook. My family likes to eat the fried okra with ranch dressing or ketchup but it is equally good on its own.
- 1 lb okra
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut okra into 1/2 inch rings.
- Combine cornmeal, paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Coat orka rings in the cornmeal mixture.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over meduim high heat.
- Fry coated okra rings 5-7 minutes until golden brown and tender. Be sure to turn the orka during cooking to ensure even doneness.
- Drain on paper towels and serve warm.