Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
This is gone in an instant. Usually have to double the recipe. Wonderful!! My family would eat this every night if I would fix it.
Top Review by PixieDust
Nurse Di-- I would give this more than 5 stars if I could. Have mercy. Did not make any alterations. Adding the small amount of bacon drippings to the oil is the secret. Gave a slightly smoky flavor that we all liked. Also the cayenne was a nice addition. We really enjoyed this.
- 1 lb fresh okra
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup self-rising cornmeal
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup bacon drippings
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut off and discard tip and stem ends from okra; cut into 1/2 inch thick slices.
- Stir into buttermilk; cover and chill 45 minutes.
- Combine cornmeal and next 3 ingredients.
- Remove okra from buttermilk with a slotted spoon; discard buttermilk.
- Dredge okra, in batches in cornmeal mixture.
- Pour oil to depth of 2 inches into cast-iron skillet or Dutch oven; add bacon drippings.
- When oil is hot, fry okra in batches, 4 minutes or until golden; drain on paper towels.
- Serve immediately.