Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 mins
This is our favorite way to fix this little green veggie of summer. You can slice into bite size pieces or down the middle, lengthwise.
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 2 lbs fresh okra, sliced
- 4 -6 cups oil, for frying
- Heat oil in deep fryer or dutch oven to 350 degrees F.
- While oil is heating up, slice okra (remove stems) and place in large bowl. Pour buttermilk over the okra and toss lightly to coat.
- In separate bowl mix cornmeal, flour, salt and peppers.
- Dredge the okra in cornmeal/flour mixture to coat well. Carefully drop in batches into the hot oil and let cook until golden brown.
- Remove from the oil and let drain on paper towels. Sprinkle lightly with salt and serve hot.
What could be any better than good old "Fried Okra". We've made fried okra very, very similar to this for years. Nothing is any better than good fresh okra from the garden. The cayenne pepper is something new to me, but will definately try it next time I fry up some.