Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep2 hrs 10 mins
Sounds weird but it's very good. You must use steel-cut oats for this recipe! Prep time includes the 2-hour refrigeration time but you can also prepare this the night before and refrigerate until morning.
- Combine the oats with 2 cups of water in a small saucepan and cook, uncovered, over low heat about 45 minutes or until the oatmeal is soft and the liquid is almost totally absorbed. Add the raisins and sugar and cook 1 minute, then increase the heat to high and cook, stirring 1 minute, or until any excess liquid evaporates.
- Lightly spray a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray and spread the oatmeal in a thin layer at the bottom. Smooth the top with a spatula. Lay a sheet of plastic wrap on the surface of the oatmeal and refrigerate at least 2 hours, or until firm. You can prepare this the night before.
- Using a metal spatula, loosen the edges of the oatmeal and turn it out onto a cutting board. Cut the sheet in half lengthwise, then crosswise to make 4 equal pieces.
- Heat the oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the butter. When the butter melts, dust the oatmeal slices with flour and cook them about 2 minutes on each side, or until well browned.
- Divide the slices between 2 plates, sprinkle with cinnamon and drizzle each serving with maple syrup.