Fried Mushrooms in Sour Cream (Paistetut Sienet)
- In a heavy 10-12 inch stainless-steel or enamel skillet, melt 4 Tblsp. butter over moderate heat.
- When the foam subsides, add the chopped onions and cook 3 to 5 minutes, or until the onions are soft and transparent but not brown.
- Now add the mushroom slices and cook another 3 to 5 minutes. Shake the pan from time to time so that the mushrooms do not stick.
- When the mushrooms are a light, delicate brown, sprinkle in the bread crumbs and toss the contents of the pan gently with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon. Remove the pan from the heat.
- In a small bowl, beat the sour cream with a wooden spoon or whisk for a minute or two, then stir it into the skillet. Toss lightly until the mushrooms are well coated with the cream.
- Serve as a vegetable accompaniment to meat or fish dishes.