Recipe by luvmybge
At my house, we don't like those fried mushrooms that are black and slimy where the breading slides easily off. This recipe is just a very crisp breading on a fresh mushroom. They'll 'pop' when you cut into them they are so fresh. Panko breadcrumbs are a polished bread crumb that you can find in an Asian market or the International section of your favorite food store and they make just a wonderful crunchier coating, too.
Top Review by Kelley52
Fantastic!!! I used 1 tsp. Lawry's seasoned salt in the batter mix. I had enough batter for 1 lb. of the mushrooms. I pre-heated my oil to 350 degrees while I battered my mushrooms. Big huge hit at our Sunday football party! This one is a definate keeper...
- 10 ounces fresh white mushrooms, wiped clean
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups breadcrumbs (Panko if you can find them)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- Add water to make a batter.
- Dip clean mushroom into batter letting excess batter drip off.
- I find it easier to stick a toothpick into the mushroom to dip it.
- After dipping into batter roll in Panko breadcrumbs to coat.
- Deep fry in oil until golden.
- We like to serve with cocktail sauce.