At my house, we don't like those fried mushrooms that are black and slimy where the breading slides easily off. This recipe is just a very crisp breading on a fresh mushroom. They'll 'pop' when you cut into them they are so fresh. Panko breadcrumbs are a polished bread crumb that you can find in an Asian market or the International section of your favorite food store and they make just a wonderful crunchier coating, too.
- Mix flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- Add water to make a batter.
- Dip clean mushroom into batter letting excess batter drip off.
- I find it easier to stick a toothpick into the mushroom to dip it.
- After dipping into batter roll in Panko breadcrumbs to coat.
- Deep fry in oil until golden.
- We like to serve with cocktail sauce.