At my house, we don't like those fried mushrooms that are black and slimy where the breading slides easily off. This recipe is just a very crisp breading on a fresh mushroom. They'll 'pop' when you cut into them they are so fresh. Panko breadcrumbs are a polished bread crumb that you can find in an Asian market or the International section of your favorite food store and they make just a wonderful crunchier coating, too.
- Mix flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- Add water to make a batter.
- Dip clean mushroom into batter letting excess batter drip off.
- I find it easier to stick a toothpick into the mushroom to dip it.
- After dipping into batter roll in Panko breadcrumbs to coat.
- Deep fry in oil until golden.
- We like to serve with cocktail sauce.
okay so i'm married but i think i love you anyway!! this was a PERFECT batter combo, it made the best fried mushrooms and fried pickles we have ever had!!!! i earned my hive tiara today serving these, the toothpick hint was just too smart, thank you so much for my new go-to batter.....yum!
Fantastic!!! I used 1 tsp. Lawry's seasoned salt in the batter mix. I had enough batter for 1 lb. of the mushrooms. I pre-heated my oil to 350 degrees while I battered my mushrooms. Big huge hit at our Sunday football party! This one is a definate keeper...
Perfect! These were very crispy and delicious. I also made fried zucchini. Next time I am going to try onion rings! Thanks for the recipe.