Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
From Emeril Live, a wonderful yummy snack or make it lunch with a nice salad!
Make and share this Fried Mozzarella With Puttanesca Dipping Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 lbs regular mozzarella cheese or 2 lbs smoked mozzarella cheese (cut into 1 inch cubes)
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups Italian style breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 6-inch skewer, or fondue forks,for dipping
Puttanesca Dipping Sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 (28 ounce) canwhole Italian plum tomatoes, pureed in a blender,with juice
- 1⁄2 cup pitted and finely chopped kalamata olive
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon drained capers
- 1 tablespoon minced anchovy fillet (4 to 5 fillets) (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper flakes
Essence use 1/2 tsp
- 3 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- Pat the mozzarella dry, making sure there is no water on the surface, and set aside.
- Place the flour in a shallow dish.
- Mix together the milk and eggs and place in a shallow bowl.
- Stir together the bread crumbs, Essence, and salt and place in a shallow dish.
- Heat vegetable oil about 1 1/2 inches deep, in a heavy saucepan or deep-fryer over medium-high heat to 325 to 330 degrees F.
- Dredge the mozzarella in the flour, shaking off any excess flour.
- Dip in the egg mixture and then the bread crumbs.
- Place mozzarella in hot oil and cook for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Allow the mozzarella to stand for 3 to 5 minutes before serving, to allow the cheese to melt the entire way through.
- Serve warm on skewers or fondue forks with Puttanesca Dipping Sauce.
- To make the dipping sauce:.
- In a medium pot heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and saute until soft and lightly caramelized, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and the remaining ingredients and simmer until the sauce is thickened and slightly reduced, about 20 minutes.
- Add salt to taste, cover and set aside.
- Serve sauce warm or at room temperature.
- Yield: about 3 cups To make the Essence:.
- Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
- Yield: 2/3 cup.