From Emeril Live, a wonderful yummy snack or make it lunch with a nice salad!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 lbs regular mozzarella cheese or 2 lbs smoked mozzarella cheese (cut into 1 inch cubes)
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups Italian style breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 6-inch skewer, or fondue forks,for dipping
Puttanesca Dipping Sauce
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole Italian plum tomatoes, pureed in a blender,with juice
- 1/2 cup pitted and finely chopped kalamata olive
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon drained capers
- 1 tablespoon minced anchovy fillet (4 to 5 fillets) (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper flakes
Essence use 1/2 tsp
- 1Pat the mozzarella dry, making sure there is no water on the surface, and set aside.
- 2Place the flour in a shallow dish.
- 3Mix together the milk and eggs and place in a shallow bowl.
- 4Stir together the bread crumbs, Essence, and salt and place in a shallow dish.
- 5Heat vegetable oil about 1 1/2 inches deep, in a heavy saucepan or deep-fryer over medium-high heat to 325 to 330 degrees F.
- 6Dredge the mozzarella in the flour, shaking off any excess flour.
- 7Dip in the egg mixture and then the bread crumbs.
- 8Place mozzarella in hot oil and cook for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes, or until golden brown.
- 9Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- 10Allow the mozzarella to stand for 3 to 5 minutes before serving, to allow the cheese to melt the entire way through.
- 11Serve warm on skewers or fondue forks with Puttanesca Dipping Sauce.
- 12To make the dipping sauce:.
- 13In a medium pot heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- 14Add the onion and saute until soft and lightly caramelized, about 5 minutes.
- 15Add garlic and cook an additional 2 minutes.
- 16Add the tomatoes and the remaining ingredients and simmer until the sauce is thickened and slightly reduced, about 20 minutes.
- 17Add salt to taste, cover and set aside.
- 18Serve sauce warm or at room temperature.
- 20Yield: about 3 cups To make the Essence:.
- 21Combine all ingredients thoroughly.
- 22Yield: 2/3 cup.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fried Mozzarella With Puttanesca Dipping Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (2462 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 104.7
- Calories from Fat 53
- Total Fat 5.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 25.5 mg
- Sodium 515.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 7.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.8 g
- Sugars 1.2 g
- Protein 5.9 g