Prep 30 mins
Cook 5 mins
I made these for my daughter, and I'll never buy store bought cheese sticks again because these are so quick and delicious. This recipe came straight from The Joy of Cooking. I'm thinking about getting a Fry Daddy...
- 226.79 g mozzarella cheese
- 118.29 ml all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 118.29 ml seasoned dry bread crumb
- Cut the cheese into 8 3 1/2/x 1/2x1/2" sticks.
- Put flour into shallow dish and dredge the mozzarella sticks lightly in flour, shaking off the excess.
- One by one, dip in the beaten egg, coating completely, and then roll in bread crumbs to coat.
- Put the sticks on a plate and freeze for 15 minutes.
- Heat a deep fryer or heavy pot to 365 in 3 inches of oil.
- Fry the mozzarella sticks in 2 batches until golden brown, about 1 minute.
- Drain on paper towels and serve with hot marinara sauce.
This recipe was great. I followed the basic steps to the recipe & used a few alterations. 1st I crushed up some doritos & mixed them with panko crumbs. I took the mozzarella sticks & coated them in flour, tapped off the excess floor & drenched it in egg. Then I rolled in breadcrumbs until they were fully coated. I also made some original kind as well. I mixed Italian breadcrumbs with panko, Italian seasoning & garlic powder. I followed the recipe by dipping in flour & egg. I let them all freeze together for 30 minutes. I heated up some vegetable oil. You don't need a lot. I then let them dry on both sides using a utensil to flip them. I let them cook about a minute or 2 on both sides. Don't let them cook too long because it's just cheese. I let them dry on paper towel & heated up some marinara. The dorito mozzarella sticks turned out pretty good. I just wanted to try something different. The original tasted just like restaraunt MS's. From now on I'll be making my own.
I wasted a whole package of cheese sticks. The freeze time wasn't enough to prevent them from falling apart in the hot oil and what was salvageable was not very good. I'm not sure what went wrong, but this was not palatable for us. I only cooked five in the first batch but threw away the rest to avoid having to wash off the breading and try again. Thanks for sharing the recipe and I'm glad it went well for some reviewers.
This recipe is a keeper...my favorite food is Mozzarella Sticks and I think I have had a million different kind....I love this recipe...Also, for people who can't find fresh mozzarella you can use the mozzarella cheese sticks (one's you would give your kids to eat) that you can buy at the grocery store and those work great too!