Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
I have not tried this recipe. I got it from eHow.com .
- 16 ounces mozzarella cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon Italian spices
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄3 cup cornstarch
- salt (in pour able container)
- Slice thick logs of the cheese, easy way is to make a thick slice and then slice that into the logs. Or you can cheat and get the cheese sticks, you know -- the prepackaged ones!
- Click to enlargeBeat the eggs and set aside.
- Click to enlargeMix the bread crumbs, garlic salt, and Italian seasonings
- and set aside.
- Click to enlargeBlend the flour with corn starch and set aside.
- Click to enlargeHeat your vegetable oil for deep frying to 360 degrees. A pan with a fry basket is really handy but you can do small batches (they have to come out quick) with a metal slotted spoon. Keep the salt next to the stove, this will smother any possible grease fires.
- Dip cheese in flour then in egg and then coat with
- bread crumbs. Dip in egg again, then breadcrumbs once more.
- Place carefully in hot oil and fry until
- golden, this takes just a few seconds so watch carefully.
- Click to enlargeWhen golden remove from hot oil and drain.
- Overall Tips & Warnings.
- You can use whatever cheese you want!
- Salt smothers grease fires. Always keep it handy and open!
- Try to get them out the moment they turn golden so the cheese doesn't melt out.
- make sure they are completely covered when battering them so there is no leakage.
- If you don't have an oil thermometer use the 'water' test. Keep a glass of water next to you and dip your fingers in it and drip it in the heating oil, once the oil 'POPS' it is ready!
- You can adjust the spice in ANY way you want, try them cajun -- I did that and it was AWESOME!
- FIRE is always a danger when deep frying, I can't stress the salt enough!