1/1 Photo of Fried Macaroni and Cheese Balls
Tried this and it was a hit with my family. I got it off the community board where someone had requested it. Wasn't as complicated as it seemed at first... give it a try!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk, warmed, plus
- 2 tablespoons milk, for egg wash
- 1 lb grated cheddar cheese
- 1 lb grated smoked gouda cheese
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cups seasoned bread crumbs
- vegetable oil, for frying
- marinara sauce or alfredo sauce, to serve
- 1Cook the macaroni according to package instructions. Drain and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking. Drain again and set aside.
- 2In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Sprinkle the flour into the butter and stir it with a whisk. Cook for 2 minutes. Whisk the warmed milk into the flour mixture, working out any lumps. Cook until the sauce thickens, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat, add the cheeses, and stir until melted and smooth; season with salt and pepper. Fold the cheese sauce into macaroni. Pour the mac and cheese into a shallow pan and refrigerate until cold, at least 2 hours.
- 3Shape the cold mac and cheese into meatball-sized balls and place them onto a waxed paper-lined tray. Freeze the balls overnight.
- 4Beat the eggs and 2 tablespoons milk together to form an egg wash and pour it into a shallow bowl. Put the bread crumbs into another shallow bowl. Remove the mac and cheese balls from the freezer. Dip the frozen balls into the egg wash then into the bread crumbs. Put the balls back into the freezer until you are ready to fry.
- 5Heat the oil in a deep-fat fryer to 350 degrees F. Fry the mac and cheese balls until they are golden brown and center is hot, about 5 minutes. Serve hot with your favorite marinara or Alfredo sauce or combination or both for dipping.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fried Macaroni and Cheese Balls
Serving Size: 1 (251 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 906.3
- Calories from Fat 397
- Total Fat 44.1 g
- Saturated Fat 26.4 g
- Cholesterol 194.2 mg
- Sodium 1660.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 79.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 5.2 g
- Protein 45.9 g