Prep 10 hrs
Cook 4 mins
Our city hosts the annual Westide Nutclub Fall Festival (second largest street festival next to Mardi Gras). The festival is known for cultivating strange and unique fried foods. Over the past couple years Fried Macaroni and Cheese has rose to fame at one of the local booths. I experimented around with this concept to create a recipe that had a little more "oomph" than the Blue Box product dipped in bisquick and deep fried. Here is what I came up with.
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt (divided)
- 2 cups elbow macaroni
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 12 ounces Velveeta cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- ground black pepper
- 4 large eggs
- 2 cups Ritz crackers
- 1⁄2 cup cornmeal
- Grease a9x13 pan.
- In large sacepan, bring water and 1/2 tsp salt to boil.
- Add pasta and cook 6-8 minutes, drain well.
- In a large bowl, compine hot pasta, 1.2 cup milk, cheeses, 1.2 tsp salt, and pepper.
- Stir until cheese is melted.
- Spoon into prepared baking dish.
- Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or until rollable.
- Roll macaoni and cheee into 1" balls and plaze on a baking sheet, freeze for 2 hours.
- In a small bowl, whisk together eggs and remining milk.
- In s seperate small bowl combine crushed ritz crackers and corn meal.
- Dip balls into egg mixture, then coer in crumb mixture.
- Fry macaroni and cheese balls in oil for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels.