Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Don't remember where this came from, have been saving it.
- 4 leeks, 1-in thick
- vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- salt and pepper
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh tarragon or 1⁄2 teaspoon dry tarragon
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons tarragon vinegar
- Trim leeks, slice in 1/2 lengthwise and rinse to remove sand and dirt. Cut them about 4-in long and place in a steamer basket and steam about 10 minutes, until tender, and set aside on paper towels for 20 minutes.
- Beat the egg, pepper, and half of the tarragon together in a bowl.
- Heat just enough oil to cover bottom of pan until a drop of water will sizzle in the pan.
- Coat the leeks in the eggs, then flour, and fry until browned, turning often.
- Sprinkle with vinegar and rest of tarragon and serve.
This was very tasty, especially with the vinegar and tarragon on top. Unfortunately the flour didn't stick very well to the leeks, so I found that after frying, the nice browned battered parts of the leeks separated and fell off the leeks themselves. Otherwise, this was a delicious and attractive dish and I will post a photo soon. It really highlights the sweetness and tenderness of the leeks.