Prep 8 mins
Cook 10 mins
A delicious snack!
- 2 cups plain yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup water
- salt, as needed
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black mustard seeds
- 1 dried red chili, halved
- 8 -12 curry leaves
- 4 steamed rice cakes, leftover
- 1 cup oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- Put the yogurt into a serving bowl.
- Add water to thin and stir until smooth. If you like a thicker raita reduce the amount of water or leave it out all together.
- Add salt to taste and stir to blend.
- In a small frying pan put the oil, black mustard seeds and the red chili. Heat over high heat until the mustard seeds have popped for 5-10 seconds.
- Quickly add the curry leaves to the oil and then stir into the yogurt.
- Set aside the yogurt mixture.
- Heat 1 cup oil, or as needed, in a saucepan for deep frying. Meanwhile, cut each of the the leftover idlies into four pieces.
- When the oil is hot, deep fry the idlies, in batches, until light brown. Drain on paper towels.
- When all of the idlies have been fried, add them to the yogurt. If desired, you may garnish the raita with the cilantro. Serve immediately.