Prep 8 mins
Cook 15 mins
from : AMERICAN INDIAN COOKING AND HERB LORE
- 6 slices bacon, cut into pieces
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 (16 ounce) cans hominy, drained
- 2 scallions, diced, including tops
- fry bacon in a heavy skillet until brown and crisp.
- stir in hominy and salt, stirring, for 5 minutes.
- add pepper and scallions, stirring for 5 more minutes.
My mom used to make this for us when I was young! I forgot all about it until I saw this recipe....she was from Kentucky an hominy was a staple down there....I am running out and buying some and trying it...
I wouldn't go so far as to say this has made a non-hominy lover, love it but it's good. I grew up on hominy and have realized that ,like boiled p-nuts, its an aquired taste. My hubby however did not like it nor likes hominy. I did, so it got mixed reviews. It is def. a twist on regular old fried hominy. I will make this again but it looks like I will be the only one eating it.
This was a great way to have hominy. It made the perfect side dish to our meal. Thanks for posting!