3 hrs 35 mins
Serve fried grits like polenta, with a topping, or as a side dish. Posted for Cookgirl! (Passive cook time is for cooling and chilling grits before frying)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Bring the water and salt to a boil in a large heavy saucepan.
- 2Add the grits and continue to simmer, stirring constantly, over medium heat until the grits are cooked and thick like mush, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- 3Pour the hot grits onto a large plate to make a layer about 3/4-inch deep.
- 4Cover and let stand to cool, then refrigerate to chill thoroughly.
- 5When the grits are cold and firm, cut into rectangular pieces.
- 6Dredge the grits pieces with flour, shaking off excess flour.
- 7Heat the oil to a depth of 1/2-inch in a heavy skillet.
- 8Fry grits pieces until golden brown on both sides, about 4 to 5 minutes total.
- 9Drain on paper towels and sprinkle with salt.
- 10Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Low Protein Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fried Grits
Serving Size: 1 (350 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 201.5
- Calories from Fat 5
- Total Fat 0.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 6.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 5.0 g