8 hrs 35 mins
8 hrs 30 mins
A recipe by chef Elizabeth Terry of Elizabeth on 37th in Savannah, Georgia. Being from the south, I love me some grits!! A plate of eggs, biscuits, gravy and these grits would be a great way to start the day...southern style!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large skillet over medium heat, combine the sausage and orange zest, stirring to break up the sausage.
- 2Saute until browned; drain and set aside.
- 3In a large saucepan over medium heat, bring the chicken broth to a boil.
- 4Slowly stir in the grits.
- 5Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 min, stirring occasionally.
- 6Stir the cooked sausage into the grits.
- 7Spread the mixture in a 9x13-inch baking dish to cool.
- 8Refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- 9Cut the chilled grits into squares and saute in the vegetable oil until crisp/brown on both sides and heat through.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fried Grit Cakes With Sausage
Serving Size: 1 (257 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 239.4
- Calories from Fat 146
- Total Fat 16.2 g
- Saturated Fat 4.4 g
- Cholesterol 74.1 mg
- Sodium 917.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 0.4 g
- Protein 18.4 g