Prep 5 mins
Cook 8 hrs 30 mins
A recipe by chef Elizabeth Terry of Elizabeth on 37th in Savannah, Georgia. Being from the south, I love me some grits!! A plate of eggs, biscuits, gravy and these grits would be a great way to start the day...southern style!!
- 1 lb spicy bulk sausage
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup stone-ground yellow corn grits
- vegetable oil, for frying
- In a large skillet over medium heat, combine the sausage and orange zest, stirring to break up the sausage.
- Saute until browned; drain and set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, bring the chicken broth to a boil.
- Slowly stir in the grits.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 20 min, stirring occasionally.
- Stir the cooked sausage into the grits.
- Spread the mixture in a 9x13-inch baking dish to cool.
- Refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- Cut the chilled grits into squares and saute in the vegetable oil until crisp/brown on both sides and heat through.