Recipe by Sherrybeth
This is another recipe from New Orleans' Crescent City Market, presented by Kenneth Smith of the Upperline Restaurant
Top Review by hollyberry117
This was really good, I've kept forgetting to review this for quite some time now. The only change I made was to coat it in flour, then egg, then cornmeal, as it help the coating to adhere better. Looking forward to making this again!
- 1⁄2 cup creole mustard (or other coarse mustard)
- 1⁄3 cup ketchup (preferably Heinz)
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or more if desired)
- salt, to taste
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup celery, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons scallions, chopped
Fried green tomatoes
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil or 5 tablespoons light olive oil
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 2 slices green tomatoes, 1/2 to 3/4 inch thick
- 1 cup cornmeal, lightly seasoned with
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup mixed greens or 1 cup lettuce
- 6 -8 medium shrimp, boiled, peeled and chilled
- 4 tablespoons remoulade sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- To prepare Remoulade Sauce:.
- In a bowl, combine mustard, ketchup, horseradish, lemon juice, paprika, white pepper, and cayenne pepper; mix well. Season with salt.
- Slowly add oil while whisking vigorously. If needed, add more cayenne pepper and salt, adjusting to taste.
- Add celery and scallion; mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate until chilled, at least 30 minutes.
- To prepare Fried Green Tomatoes:.
- Heat oil in a sauté pan over medium heat.
- Whisk together egg and milk. Dip tomato slices in egg mixture, then coat with cornmeal.
- Carefully place tomato slices in sauté pan and cook SLOWLY until golden brown on bottom, then turn and brown the other side. (Note: If tomatoes are cooked too quickly, the outside will brown before the inside is cooked.).
- To serve, arrange greens on an individual serving plate. Place fried tomato slices next to each other on the bed of greens. Top each slice with three or four shrimp. Spoon remoulade sauce over shrimp.