Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
I first tried fried green tomatoes at my friend's granny's house, who lived in Lousianna, about 10 years ago. Boy were they GOOD! I got her recipe and now I enjoy them every spring!
- 2 green tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- 1 egg, beaten
- vegetable oil
- Wash and slice tomatoes to 1/4-inch thick.
- In a shallow bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, salt, pepper and cajun seasoning.
- Dip each tomato slice into the egg, then coat in the cornmeal mixture.
- Fry on each side until golden; drain on paper towel.
My husband declared this recipe for FGT the best he ever ate. He actually used a word I have never heard out of his mouth to describe them, and that word is "superb."
Great recipe. My family loves fried green tomatoes and this is the first time I have ever heard of adding the cajun seasonings. The perfect touch. Thanks for the great recipe.
Granny probably wouldln't have approved, but I added a couple pinches of dried red chili. Barb says they taste like eggplant, which she loves.