Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 mins
Fried Green with things around the house.
- 8 large green tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 2 cups fine breadcrumbs
- oil, best flavored (for frying)
- Coat tomato slices with flour, then dip in egg (seasoned with salt, pepper, and hot sauce) and finally in bread crumbs.
- Using hedium heat, brown on both sides in a skillet with 1/2" of flavored oil.
- Serve hot, with extra hot sauce, if desired.
These were very easy to make and very good, too! I scaled the recipe back and just did 2 tomatoes. I used tomatoes that were just starting to turn red instead of all green tomatoes(based on my Grandma's suggestion), and they turned out just fine-they were still firm enough. I also used Italian breadcrumbs, because that's what I had on hand and I used olive oil for frying. I loved the breading-I'll probably have to mimic this on other things as well as the tomatoes! Thanks for posting, Vince!