You’ll need 4 to 5 green tomatoes. We recommend finely ground Quaker cornmeal for this recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place tomatoes on paper towel–lined rimmed baking sheet. Cover with more paper towels, let sit for 20 minutes, and pat dry. Meanwhile, process 1/3 cup cornmeal in blender until very finely ground, about 1 minute. Combine processed cornmeal, remaining 1/3 cup cornmeal, flour, salt, pepper, and cayenne in shallow dish. Whisk buttermilk and egg together in second shallow dish.
- 2Working one at a time, dip tomato slices in buttermilk mixture, then dredge in cornmeal mixture, pressing firmly to adhere; transfer to clean baking sheet.
- 3Heat oil in 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until 350 degrees. Fry 4 tomato slices until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Drain on wire rack set in baking sheet. Bring oil back to 350 degrees and repeat with remaining tomato slices. Serve.
- 4**TIP: To keep the tomatoes from weeping as they fry (which will loosen the coating), let them sit between paper towels for 20 minutes and then press dry.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Fried Green Tomatoes(Cook's Country)
Serving Size: 1 (364 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1140.5
- Calories from Fat 996
- Total Fat 110.7 g
- Saturated Fat 19.0 g
- Cholesterol 48.1 mg
- Sodium 962.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 8.9 g
- Protein 7.7 g