Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
This is a very tasty southern dish. When summer time comes, I just can't eat enough of these things.
- 2⁄3 cup white cornmeal
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 large green tomatoes, sliced
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 6 tablespoons olive oil or 6 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Combine the first 3 ingredients in a small bowl, stir well.
- Dip the tomato slices in the beaten egg.
- Dredge in the corn meal mixture, coating well on both sides.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until hot.
- Add 1 layer of coated tomato slices and fry 3 to 5 minutes or until brown, turning only once.
- Remove from skillet, drain and set aside; keep warm.
- Repeat the procedures until all tomatoes are done, adding more oil with each new batch serve immediately.